Primary and secondary education
We work directly with schools to ensure our support is tailored to the individual school and/or partnership and aligns to the Curriculum for Excellence and Global Goals for Sustainable Development.
School Partnerships have been a hugely important part of our friendship together for more than a hundred years and continue to drive much of our work. Today, over 250 Scottish primary and secondary schools are members of the SMP and many have active links with a school in Malawi or learn about Malawi as part of their curriculum.
The SMP is able to support your work as an individual school and as a partnership school.
- Partnership Inspiration or Re-ignition workshops/presentations for pupils and/or staff (and available online anytime during Covid-19)
- Advice on developing and maintaining an international school partnership between Scotland and Malawi
- Signposting to useful resources, events, organisations and CPD, teacher training opportunities with partnership organisations and organisations such as your local Development Education Centre (DEC) and Connecting Classrooms for Global Learning
- Youth & Schools Forum events 2-4 times a year, bringing together experts and teachers to discuss their experiences of school partnerships and using Malawi/Scotland as a theme in the classroom
- Supporting schools to hold events or sessions in school celebrating their partnership
- Promotional support to celebrate and share your partnership
The benefits of school partnerships go far beyond individual teachers and students, they allow school communities in both Scotland and Malawi to learn from and understand other cultures better and feel connected in our global society. The joint learning which has taken place through school-partnerships includes enterprise projects, global curriculum activities and reciprocal visits between schools.
If you're interested in starting a school partnership with a Malawian school, we can work with our colleagues at The Malawi Scotland Partnership, to find you a suitable partner school. We will then help to support your partnership for as long as is needed, in ways that suit your school and partnership best.
We welcome you to contact our Youth and Schools Officer Luisa on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Members involved with this area
Here's a selection of Scotland Malawi Partnership members who are actively working on projects in this focus area.
Elvis Mpakati Gama
Gracemount High School
Greenfaulds High School
Mrs Mercy Phiri
Rachel Anne Josephine Macleod
Deria Mary Wells
St Bridget's Primary School