Important: please note that the Government of Malawi will implement new visa fees from 1st October 2015.

Click here to download the new Government of Malawi visa guidelines



The following information was accurate as of October 2015. For the most up to date information on visa requirements, please visit the Malawi High Commission Website.

Tourist Visas

A number of SMP members have now travelled to Malawi under the new visa regime for UK citizens. The simplest options seems to be paying for your visa on arrival into Lilongwe/Blantyre, paying in cash with 75USD for the single entry visa. If you download the visa application form in advance from the Malawi High Commission website (click here) and fill in before travel this can speed up the process in the airport on arrival. You might also want to take a letter of invitation and a print out of the address you are staying at as some members have been asked for this. For further information CLICK HERE. 

Temporary Employment Permits and Temporary Residency Permits

Expatriates applying for Temporary Employment Permits and Temporary Residency Permits should do so through their respective employer before taking up employment. Failure to do so could be viewed as working illegally, which may lead to arrests and deportation. The Malawian employer should always consult the Immigration Department before engaging the expatriates for more information.

Visa applications (including TRPs and TEPs) are received on Mondays only and collected on Thursdays. Applicants can apply for any visa depending on the nature of the visit, subject to assessment.

A renewal of a Temporary Residence Permit is permitted. The application should be submitted to the Immigration Department a month before the expiry date to give time to process the paper work.

Applicants for renewal can book an appointment with the Chief Immigration Officer, Permit Officers or Regional Immigration Officers for further information regarding extending the TRP.

General advice

For any type of entry into Malawi, passports should be valid for at least 6 months from the proposed date of entry.

Single parents or other adults travelling alone with children should be aware that some countries require documentary evidence of parental responsibility before allowing lone parents to enter the country and/or before permitting the children to leave the country.

It is also recommended that you register with the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office LOCATE service prior to your departure. This service allows the office to provide you with most recent updates about the situation in Malawi, as well as to contact you and your family in case of an emergency.

It is recommended that you store the original copy of your passport in a secure location but always carry around a photocopy of your passport and visa in case you are checked by local authorities. If you do lose your passport contact the British High Commission immediately.

For more information on tourist visas, and work permits please contact the Malawi High Commission in London:

Telephone : +44(0) 20 8455 5624

Email: malawihighcom(at) 

The information above was accurate as of June 2013. For the most up to date information on visa requirements, please visit the Malawi High Commission website.

UK visas for Malawians

If you are looking to support your Malawian partner visit Scotland download our SMP Visa application advice.


British High Commission in Malawi

British High Commission in Malawi


Off Convention Road

PO Box 30042

Lilongwe 3


+265 (0)1 772 683 
+265 (0)1 772 701
+265 (0)1 772 182
+265 (0)1 772 027
+265 (0)1 772 123
+265 (0)1 772 400 (out of hours emergencies only)

Fax: +265 (0)1 772 657

Email: bhclillongwe(at)

Visit their website

Office Hours

GMT: Mon-Thurs 05:30-10:00/11:30-14:30, Fri 05:30-10:30 

British Honorary Consul in Malawi


British Honorary Consul
Savjani & Co.
Hannover House
Hannover Avenue
PO Box 2790

Tel: +265 (0)1 824 555

Fax: +265 (0)1 821 064

Email: savjani(at) or savjani(at)

Opening hours:
Monday – Friday
0730 – 1200
1330 – 1700

UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office

UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office

The UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office can be contacted when unable to reach British representation in Malawi directly.

General Enquiries: 020 7008 1500

Services for Britons Overseas: 020 7008 0210 (office hours only)

Visa enquiries: 
Tel: +265 (0)1 772 427
Email: lilongwevisa(at)

Office hours: Mon-Fri – 8.00 – 11.00
Email: Passport(at)