We’re very excited to announce the launch of our 2019 Youth Event Competition supported by the Year of Young People National Lottery Fund.
Three lucky winners will each receive £500 towards the costs of the event and get support from the SMP Youth Committee and staff to help make the event a big success!
Building on the competition we ran last year for the Year of Young People, the SMP is looking for groups that are planning an event for young people aged 14-24 to celebrate the heritage and culture of Scotland and Malawi’s partnership.
Last year’s winners, Penicuik High School, put on a dazzling whole school event to celebrate and promote their school partnership with Namadzi School in Malawi. Have a look at the video at the bottom of this page to get a taste for the event!
How to enter:
- Create a mood-board or mind-map using things like photos, images, sound, videos, and text to explain your event and your partnership with Malawi. You can use an online tool such as Padlet or Prezi , or create something physically then send us a photo!
- Fill in the form and if you have any issues with the form, email Gemma.
- If your idea sounds awesome, we will help you host your event, with you in charge!
Watch our video below for all the details!
Here is the kind of information that we’d really like to see in an entry:
- What’s your venue and why have you chosen it (do you have a back-up?)
- When would you host the event (rough date/time of day)?
- What’s the intended size and make-up of your audience?
- What’s your theme for the event and how does it celebrate the partnership between Scotland and Malawi?
- How will you advertise your event and gain a new audience?
- How will you include the voices of young people in Scotland and Malawi?
- What’s your budget and how will you raise funds if you need to?
- What’s special about your event?
Be as creative as you like with your entry to give us a real feel for the event you have in mind! We’d encourage you to have a look at the Partnership Principles and to keep them in mind when you’re planning too.
As well as events in school like Penicuik’s, it could also be things like a film night, showing a Malawian film or a community lunch featuring Malawian food!
The only restriction we have is that the event must take place before the end of July and entries will close at 9am on the 1st April.
How it will be judged:
Our Youth Committee, made up of ten young people from across Scotland aged 14-24 with a link to Malawi, will judge each entry and reach a joint decision on the winners.