We are delighted to invite members of the SMP, and their partners in Malawi, to join a special roundtable meeting with David Beer, the new British High Commissioner of Malawi.
Date: Monday 14th December 2020
Time: 13.00 – 14.30 (UK Time)
Booking: CLICK HERE to book your place.
Many of our members will already know David Beer as he previously served as Head of DFID Malawi (2018-2020). Earlier this year DFID was merged with the FCO to create the FCDO and, when Holly Tett stepped down as British High Commissioner to Malawi, David Beer was appointed as her successor. He formally started in this role when his credentials were accepted by the President of Malawi on the 20th October, but he attended our AGM informally before this.
We have greatly enjoyed working with David Beer in DFID and we look forward to a similarly close relationship as High Commissioner.
The SMP has, for many years, hosted roundtable meetings with members for all incoming British High Commissioners to Malawi and Malawian High Commissioners to the UK. This has been greatly valued by all sides and we are delighted to be continuing the tradition.
We will use the meeting to brief the High Commissioner on our members’ work and priorities, and we will look to listen to his views, especially on opportunities for closer working and collaboration between Scotland’s civic links with Malawi and the UK Government’s work in Malawi. We look forward to an open and really constructive exchange.
A great advantage of a digital meeting like this is that many more members can take part and also that members’ partners can join from Malawi. We really encourage members to support their partners to join the discussion to add depth and richness to the discussions.
As guests sign-up for the meeting online they will be able to say if they would like to give a short summary of their links in the meeting, and also if they would like to table a specific topic for discussion.
Before becoming Head of DFID Malawi in 2018, David Beer was:
- Advisor to UK Executive Directors at the IMF and World Bank (2015-18)
- DFID, Economic Development Team Leader for Ghana (2012-15)
- DFID, Head of Office, Burundi (2010-12)
- DFID, Humanitarian and Recovery Programme Manager for Sudan (2008-10)
- DFID, Various roles including; International Development Committee Inquiry lead, Iraq; Policy analyst on Occupied Palestinian Territory; EU co-ordinator Western Balkans Team; and Programme Officer, Corporate Strategy Group (2004-08)
Before this, David Beer had various Non-Governmental Organisation roles including:
- Tearfund Desk Officer for Rwanda, Burundi and Madagascar;
- Medair Humanitarian Programme Manager, North-East Uganda;
- Medair Logistics Co-ordinator, Democratic Republic of Congo; and
- Youth With a Mission Construction Manager, Uganda