SMP Language and Culture Workshops 2017
The Scotland Malawi Partnership hosted a series of language and culture workshops for its members and interested stakeholders, running throughout March in Edinburgh and Glasgow.
The Scotland Malawi Partnership is pleased once again to be hosting a series of language workshops for its members and interested stakeholders.
Participants are invited to attend three evenings covering basic language and culture. These will be conducted in Chichewa and there are limited places so please book quickly to avoid disappointment.
Based on feedback from last year’s events, this year the workshops will be tailored to offer basic language and cultural training. This will be ideal in advance of a visit to partners in Malawi, or for people who are interested in a short introduction to the basics of Chichewa.
The workshops will:
- Introduce basic conversational and grammatical examples, and key phrases
- Build on cultural awareness (e.g important historical stories, ceremonies, body language, cultural sensitivities, etc)
- Develop the confidence of Scottish partners to communicate at an introductory level with their Malawian counterparts
The cost of the workshop covers:
- Language tuition and cultural information from experienced Malawian language teachers
- Audio files of all the lessons and exercises to help with practice
- Light refreshments of sandwiches, teas and coffees
For the first time we will also be holding a Malawian Culture evening , open to Edinburgh and Glasgow workshop attendees, with Malawian food and a chance to hear more about Malawian culture and customs.
Venue: Mandela Room, Edinburgh City Chambers
Time: 5.30pm – 8.00pm
Dates: 6th, 13th and 20th March 2017
Venue: Graham Hills Building (702), The University of Strathclyde
Time: 5.30pm – 8.00pm
Dates: 8th, 15th and 22nd March 2017
An evening of Malawian food and chance to learn more about Malawian culture:
Venue: St George's Tron Church, Glasgow
Time: 6pm - 9pm
Date: 28th March 2017
Early bird rate (paid by 27th February 2017):
SMP Members: £30
Non- members: £40
Paying on the door:
SMP Members: £35
Non- members: £45
- plus an additional £15 if you would like to attend the Malawian cultural evening.
If you would like information about learning Chitumbuka, or having language lessons outside of Edinburgh or Glasgow do contact Charlie.